The Gasbot Project
The purpose of the Gasbot project is to develop a demonstrator platform
for detecting and mapping biogas emissions at landfill sites.
The robot should be able to:
- Localize and navigate in semi-structured environments, both indoor and outdoor
- Produce models of the gas distribution
- Detect and localize gas sources
Mobile robots can be valuable tools for monitoring landfill emissions for various reasons:
- Compared to human operators using handheld devices mobile robots can achieve higher density of measurements. This is crucial for obtaining high quality gas distribution models or accurate gas source localization
- By performing measurements autonomously, mobile robots can minizie the exposure of human oprators to hazardous compounds like hydrogen sulfide
- Mobile robots can provide accurate localization and the computational resources for computing the required models
Gasbot is currently under collaborative developed between
Mobile Robotics and Olfaction Lab at
Írebro University and
This project is fully funded by Robotdalen.
Gasbot is a Clearpath Robotics PartnerBot recipient, 2012.